Monday 13 December 2010

Unexpected

Somehow over the weekend, Big Boy persuaded me to invite the 10 and 12 year old nieces to London for next week.  They were last here a few months ago and they really do need a bit of fine polishing to make them more interesting and bearable to be around.  But they do need the break, and also they were supposed to be going to see their other grandmother around xmas time but she did a very silly thing... She pushed my parents too far in suggesting that the girls' father (who's only supposed to have supervised access) would have to pick them up from Wales on his own and take them on a two hour train ride to there.   One of the nieces simply refused.  It was not an option anyway.  I'd have bloody made sure he didn't get to do it if no one else had made the right decision.

So anyway, she's a bloody cow my views on her are confirmed as she clearly doesn't take seriously the girls' or my parents wishes on the issue.  I think anyway the girls could do with a break, and we like to be here for them (even if I'm going to need to bite my tongue when they annoy me endlessly while they're here).

In the meantime, I'm trying to think what to do with them while they're here.  I'd like some sort of activity afternoons to take them too - eg where they can paint pottery in one of those cafe things, or do something similar that I don't know about.  I've taken them to the Natural History Museum, the zoo, the Aquarium, to see Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Kew Gardens, the Tower of London... etc.  So now I'm going to have to think more about this.

It should be fun - for them ;)

7 comments:

  1. Probably a very obvious suggestion, but Time Out's kids pages are full of good ideas. Otherwise, ask Twitter. The hivemind will know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a mix of activities at home and out is good. Perhaps you could get them to do some baking (take presents home for their grandparents). They can choose what to bake and you can go out shopping for it together.

    When my nieces were little they loved China Town and trying to eat with chopsticks (I took them to a cheap and cheerful place there).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. I particularly favour the baking idea... but hadn't thought of combining this with taking something back for their grandparents. I think I've just been trying to find an excuse to bake cookies for myself so far ;) We tried China Town actually last time, but they're seriously picky eaters. I've now been told by my (favourite) sister that there's little better in their minds than a Dr Oetker pizza!(!!!). Time Out kids pages too are a great idea, thanks.

    I think it's nice that these kids are coming up to quite interesting ages now in terms of my (hopefully) being able to really get through to them.

    One of my big questions though is what to do about the fact that one of my nieces has a terrible, terrible concentration span. She only ever reads magazines as she can't concentrate enough on books. I want to have a "story hour" and read something good out loud to both of them - as an activity in the evening. Big Boy reckons they're just too old for it. (I disagree).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor concentration might mean that being read to will just be transmitted as 'blah blah whatever.' How about doing a film that has a book tie-in and get them to read aloud for a short time. But I'd keep it to 10 mins each at the most. You can all take turns - you and Big Boy too.

    Reading recipes might be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :) I'll look into those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making chocolate truffles and toffee is always fun and gives them something to take back as well. The London Eye would keep them occupied for a half hour or so but is pricey. Maybe you could get a London based film out and then see if they can find and take you to the locations in the film? My aunt did that once and we loved it. The Tower of London and Windsor Castle are good because they've got lots of different sections which would suit your niece's crap attention span. Do you have a museum of film, tv or photography in London? They're always good for kids. Best of luck with it, if all else fails head for Blockbuster and park them in front of the telly....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Vicola. Some great ideas there x

    ReplyDelete